Special Class Sunday Sept. 26 at 9:30am
Present Wisdom is hosting a special online Yoga for Runners class on Sunday September 26th at 9:30am (EST). We welcome all the participants of the Jamie’s 5k Run for Love charity run that took place on September 19th. Participants were offered a discount code to take the class for free and also have free access to Present Wisdom’s on-demand classes for 1 week that includes the “Yoga for Runners” collection. Anyone needing assistance in claiming the special offer can contact Present Wisdom at email@example.com or 914-488-4082.
This all-level class will feature an accessible warm-up which runners can incorporate into their regular routine, followed by a yoga sequence that focuses on stretching and strengthening the legs. The postures in this sequence will also engage the core and open the chest, so runners can cross the finish line with strong legs and a shining heart. Class will conclude with a restorative hip release.
Yoga Stretches for Runners
Practicing yoga helps to stretch, align and strengthen the body, which is beneficial for running, too! Here’s a list of stretches and yoga postures that target the hamstrings, IT bands, quads, calves and hips. They can be done before and/or after a run.
Supine Leg Stretch
- Lie on your back and draw the right knee into the chest, pulsing the leg to release the hip.
- Wrap a strap around the ball of the right foot and extend it to the sky, flexing through the sole of the foot and keeping the leg straight (you might not be in a perfect “L” shape).
- Take the strap in the left hand and draw the right leg across the body to the left for an IT band stretch.
- Draw the right leg back to midline and over to the right for an inner thigh stretch.
- Release the right leg long on the mat.
Repeat on the left leg.
Downward Facing Dog
- Start on all fours, in a tabletop position.
- Press into the palms and lift the hips up and back.
- Alternate straightening and bending each leg to open the hamstrings.
Low Lunge to Quad Stretch
- From Downward Facing Dog, step the right foot forward between the hands.
- Release the left knee to the mat and square off the hips.
- Plant hands on the mat or blocks and sink into the right hip.
- From Low Lunge, bend the left knee and draw the heel toward the butt.
- Reach the right arm up and back, twisting to take hold of the left foot with the hand or strap.
- Draw the foot closer to the butt to deepen the quad stretch.
Repeat on the left side.
Runners’ Lunge to Pyramid
- From Downward Facing Dog, step the right foot between the hands.
- Keep the left knee lifted and square off the hips.
- Press into the ball of the left foot and shift back to stretch the calf.
- From Runner’s Lunge, straighten the right leg and plant the left foot.
- With a flat back, bring hands to blocks and square off the hips.
- Lift the right toes and flex the foot to deepen the hamstring stretch.
Repeat on the left side.